Wednesday 20 October 2010

Spurgeon on Suffering: Part 3


We've seen that Charles Spurgeon was a man who knew what it was to suffer terribly (See part 1). What sustained him through such heavy storms was the sovereign goodness of a loving Heavenly Father. He knew that his afflictions did not happen by chance, Spurgeon knew that the Bible knows nothing of chance. Rather, absolutely everything, down to the smallest detail, is governed by the sovereign hand of God. This meant that his sufferings, down to the "arrangement of their weight and quantity", were sent to him from God.
He also knew that they did not come upon him without purpose (see part 2). They came from the hand of a loving Heavenly Father, who is working all things for the good of His people. Spurgeon was able to testify to the "incalculable" measure of blessing that had come to him through the afflictions that God had ordained for him. Here is what he says:

"I am afraid that all the grace that I have got of my comfortable and easy times and happy hours, might almost lie on a penny. But the good that I have received from my sorrows, and pains, and griefs, is altogether incalculable ... Affliction is the best bit of furniture in my house. It is the best book in a minister's library."


I am indebted to John Piper's biographical sketch of Suprgeon for much of this information and for pointing me to these quotes of Spurgeon. See: www.desiring god.org/ResourceLibrary/Biographies/1469_Charles_Spurgeon_Preaching_Through_Adversity/