Monday 27 December 2010

"Meat indeed and drink indeed"

What is it that will sustain us as Christians? What is it that will keep our souls from withering? The answer is simple, yet is something that we easily overlook. It is the prayerful and dilligent reading of the Bible. Nothing can replace this. This is something that the great evangelist George Whitefield discovered at his conversion. Here is what he said in his own words.
Above all my mind being now more opened and enlarged, I began to read the holy Scriptures upon my knees, laying aside all other books, and praying over, if possible, every line and word. This proved meat indeed and drink indeed to my soul. I daily received fresh life, light, and power from above. I got more true knowledge from reading the book of God in one month than I could ever have acquired from all the writings of men.
Therefore, let us not run after the latest fad or book about spiritual growth. Instead let us give ourselves to the prayerful and dilligent reading of the Scriptures.