Saturday 4 September 2010

"A pipe in my teeth and a pencil in my hand."


Over the coming weeks I (Mark) will be working my way devotionally through James Ussher's 104 Irish articles of religion. I'm not entirely sure what to expect or what contribution I can make on here regarding them.
My hope is that as I am challenged again by the fundamental truths of the articles that the Lord would grant me new insight and new, deeper affections for him.
Before we begin, lets ask some preliminary questions.

Who was James Ussher?
James Ussher was Archbishop of Armagh (Northern Ireland) between 1625-1656. He was a godly man, pastor, systematician and scholar who, apart from anything else, calculated the date of creation to, the early hours of the morning, 26th Oct 4004 BC... and frankly, anyone who can be that accurate deserves a read.

What are the 104 Irish Articles?
They are a collection of doctrinal statements about God, Scripture and the Church designed to define orthodox Christian belief.

Why am I reading them devotionally?
C.S. Lewis answers better than I ever could:
"For my own part I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion then the devotional books... I believe that many who find 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find their heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a though bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"