Thursday 23 September 2010

"I could have wept my very being out of my eyes."

How do you feel over those who are "...seperated from Christ...having no hope and without God in the world." (Ephesians 2:12)? Charles Spurgeon felt deeply for them. He was a man who was consumed with a desire to see God glorified in the salvation of sinners. He recognised the reality of men and women facing an eternity under God's wrath in hell, and therefore had a great concern for the unbeliever. Here is how he describes it:
I remember, when I have preached at different times in the country, and sometimes here, that my whole soul has agonized over men, every nerve of my body has been strained and I could have wept my very being out of my eyes and carried my whole frame away in a flood of tears, if I could but win souls.
Do we have such a heart as Spurgeon's, that we weep over those who are in active rebellion against Christ, and thus face his just and terrible anger? Do our eyes fill with tears as we think about those who daily trample God's glory into the dirt? May God give us such a heart as He gave Spurgeon.